NHIF ( National Hospital Insurance Fund ) offers health insurance service to Kenyans who have attained the legal age of 18 years and even those below as beneficiaries.
One is required to submit contribution by 9th of every month. Failure to this, one is charged a penalty fee.Going beyond any NHIF deadline attracts huge penalties which must be cleared for the insurance cover to remain valid.
How To Check Your NHIF Card Status
In case you default payment or make late payments it’s essential to check your NHIF status and find out how much you owe NHIF. You can check by using SMS as follows:
- Compose a message ID space then your ID number
- Send the message to 21101 or 6443
- The service provider will charge you Ksh. 10 for the SMS service
- NHIF will send a message detailing your penalty and due contributions.
How To Pay NHIF Penalty via MPESA
- On your phone go to MPESA
- Select Lipa na MPESA
- Enter NHIF Business Number: 200222
- On the Account details section enter your ID number e.g. 266492
- Add the letter “Y” to your ID number e.g. 266492Y
- This allows the system to classify the payment as a penalty
- Enter (Ksh 250) for each defaulted month on the Amount section (For self-employed individuals)
- Enter your Mpesa PIN and okay the transaction.
- You will receive a confirmation SMS from Safaricom and another from NHIF acknowledging the transaction.
NOTE: For Employers the penalties and procedure are different.