YouTube today launched YouTube Rewind which celebrates the videos, moments and creators who represent the best of YouTube in 2018. Africa’s most watched YouTuber, Mark Angel Comedy, topped the list of Kenyans’ most watched non-music YouTube videos for 2018. The episode titled, ‘Who Died?’ is a hilarious account of Mark Angel trying to find an actor to play dead for a video campaign on the consequences of poor eating habits.
YouTube Rewind is an annual review of videos produced, created, and uploaded on YouTube. It brings together the biggest music, trends and characters from the past twelve months featuring Kenya’s biggest YouTube stars.
This year’s list of trending non-music videos features moments of comedy, sports as well as news and politics.
“This year’s Top Trending Videos are a testament to the adeptness of Kenyan YouTubers in creating content that entertains, informs and inspires their audiences,” says Dorothy Ooko, Africa’s Head of Communications & Public Affairs at Google.
The second top trending video in the non-music category was one of a bride and her bridesmaids who danced down the aisle in a departure from the traditional wedding march, while Njugush Ame Nduthika by Blessed Njugush came in third place. The video showing Miguna Miguna’s deportation at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport was fourth in the ranking, while Kanze Dena’s emotional farewell from Citizen TV to take up her new position as State House Spokesperson tugged at Kenyans’ hearts, coming in fifth place. In the sports category, the match between Portugal and Spain during the FIFA World Cup 2018 was the the sixth most watched video. Former US President Barack Obama dancing in Kogelo with his grandmother, Sarah, and half-sister, Auma took the seventh position.
In the music category, Kwangwaru by Harmonize featuring Diamond Platinumz emerged as Kenyans’ most watched music video. In second place was Short and Sweet by Sauti Sol featuring Nyashinski. The third trending music video was Chaguo La Moyo by Otile Brown and Sanaipei Tande, while Bebi Bebi by Nyashinski came in fourth place. Lamba Lolo by Ethic Entertainment took the fifth spot.
YouTube has also launched more than 300 product improvements to its search and discovery systems last year to help people find even more videos they love. This includes things like the localised YouTube Music charts which captures exactly what Kenyans are listening to every week.
These are the top 10 moments that had Kenyans watching, commenting and sharing in 2018:
Trending Non-Music Videos- Kenya:
- Who Died?– Mark Angel Comedy
- Best Wedding Dance Ever (Official Bride & Maids Dance)– MC Gospel
- Njugush Ame Nduthika- Njugush
- Miguna Miguna Refuses to be Deported to Dubai from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport– Xtian Dela
- Kila La Heri, Kanze– Citizen TV Kenya
- Portugal vs. Spain- 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia- Match 3– FIFA TV
- Obama in Kogelo- Dancing with his Grandmother. You Gotta Love the American Moves!– Online Community KE
- Usicheze na Conductor wa Mat za Mwihoko– Henry Desagu
- MCA Tricky Buys Himself Samantha– MCA Tricky TV
- MC Sunday- Ukiomba Msichana wa Mombasa Namba ya Simu– Churchill Show
Trending Music Videos:
- Kwangwaru– Harmonize featuring Diamond Platinumz
- Short & Sweet – Sauti Sol featuring Nyashinski
- Chaguo La Moyo– Otile Brown featuring Sanaipei Tande
- Bebi Bebi– Nyashinski
- Lamba Lolo– Ethic Entertainment
- Njiwa– Willy Paul featuring Nandy
- Nadekezwa– Mbosso
- Bum Bum– Yemi Alade
- Starboy– Soco featuring Terri, Spotless, Ceeza Willi and Wizkid
- Consuming Fire- Jimmy D Psalmist
2018 was a big year for mainstream celebrities on YouTube. Stars pop up in late night clips and made-for-digital segments like Carpool Karaoke for years; however this year a number of celebs made the leap to start their own channels and truly become creators, harnessing the power of YouTube’s 1.9 billion-strong global audience.
Global treding non-music videos:
- To Our Daughter – Kylie Jenner
- Real Life Trick Shots 2 – Dude Perfect
- We broke up– David Dobrik
- Walmart yodeling kid– Sonnel Official
- Do You Hear “Yanny” or “Laurel”? (SOLVED with SCIENCE)– ASAP Science
- Portugal v Spain – 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ – MATCH 3– FIFA TV
- Build Swimming Pool Around Underground House– Primitive Survival Tool
- Cobra Kai Ep 1 – “Ace Degenerate” – The Karate Kid Saga Continues– Cobra Kai
- Behan Bhai Ki School Life – Amit Bhadana
- NGƯỜI TRONG GIANG HỒ PHẦN 6 | LÂM CHẤN KHANG | FULL 4K | TRUYỀN NHÂN QUAN NHỊ CA | PHIM CA NHẠC 2018– Khang Pro Film
Global Trending Music Videos:
- Te Bote Remix – Casper, Nio García, Darell, Nicky Jam, Bad Bunny, Ozuna
- Nicky Jam x J. Balvin – X (EQUIS) | Official Video | Prod. Afro Bros & Jeon
- Girls Like You Maroon 5 ft. Cardi B
- Daddy Yankee | Dura (Official Video)
- Ozuna x Romeo Santos – El Farsante (Remix) (Official Video)
- Becky G, Natti Natasha – (Video Official)
- El Chombo (Official Video)
- Drake – God’s Plan
- Reik – Me Niego ft. Ozuna, Wisin (Official Video)
- Vaina Loca – Ozuna x Manuel Turizo (Official Video)
“What is clear from looking at the Top Trending Videos is the ability of creators to connect with their fans to entertain, inspire and educate,” adds Ooko
Collectively these 10 global videos have more than 673M views and were watched for around 50 million hours. The annual Rewind mashup video, which highlights the creators and artists that shaped popular culture in 2018 can be found here: http://rewind.youtube/2018