Most of you have been overlooked for the promotion that you have dreaming about and working towards for some petty but serious issues. Do you know what reasons they are? Have you taken the time to understand how the promotion system at your company works? You have put in the time and work but you always get passed over each time. What mistakes are you making when trying to get a promotion no matter which?
Good, the answers may surprise you because it is not because you are not working hard enough of which it is not the most important factors in promotions. You need to work hard, but you also not to have a strategy. Your managers and team-leaders look for smart and hardworking leaders but you as an individual you need to avoid certain mistakes to get that promotion.
These are some of the mistakes that makes managers reconsiders offering a promotion to an employee;
1. Gossiping and feeding into office politics have no place inside or outside the company’s walls. Even if you trust your colleagues, never gossip about your bosses with them. The gossip will soon get around therefore hindering you from promotions.
2. Do not disagree with your boss in public. This is so irresponsible and it should be avoided at all cost. If there is a concern, ensure that you solve the matter in private but in public always support your boss, show respect and never embarrass them no matter the relationship you are having with them. They are your boss.
3. Avoid playing the part of a victim or complain. Of course, it is difficult to be happy all the time especially when things are stressful. Do not nag too much. Ungrateful employees turn off their bosses and many times other employees. Make it a point to be positive and professional when things are bothering you.
4. Work and personal feelings should be kept separate. This means that one should take constructive feedback for what it is to help you grow professional. An employee should always avoid being personal feelings when dealing with other employees and even their boss.
5. Not following through. Always ensure that if you commit to doing something make sure that you can deliver on your promise and follow through. Do not forget your target for that matter.
6. Asking for promotions, raise and more benefits or privileges all at the same time is not advisable. It is the duty of your boss to promote you but you as an employee. You do not need to remind them to do so. Keep your priorities in mind and work on getting them regularly.
7. Thinking promotions are based on merit on merit alone. Other factors including politics come into play. Always analyze your corporate principles to find out where they need to focus besides working hard.
8. As an employee, do not neglect your long-term goals. This means you are not supposed to give up on your goals however much time they take. Work on them until you achieve them. In line with that ask yourself whether the promotion is in line with your overall long-term goal.
9. Do not suck up to the boss, with this I mean brown nosing or trying too hard to impress the boss. Managers do not like it and it has a negative effect on your career advancement. In contrast to this, focus on doing a good job and being aligned with your company’s values .this will get you further.
10. Finally, you need to know and be able to show how your skills and reasons for seeking the promotion fit together. This is by not matching your credentials to the facts of the responsibilities for the promotions. Your experience level; why are you ready for more responsibilities and achievements and skills all must fit in with why promoting you is right for the company. Just because you think you have more experience and more skills should not be a reason as to why you need to be promoted.
Every employee should therefore consider the above and avoid such mistakes whenever possible when trying to move up within their company. Remember promotion do not only take hard work but much more.